History

St. Paul DixonSt. Paul Lutheran Church formed Aug. 20, 1848, with parishioners gathering for worship in a barn on the north side of Highway 38, at the first crossroad east of the airport.

Sixteen people, five men and 11 women, signed a constitution and pledged faithfulness to the “First Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Lee County.”

The church moved to an old gravel schoolhouse on the same farm east of Dixon, then into and out of two other buildings built by members, one on Crawford Avenue in 1854 (dedicated Sept. 30, 1855) and one on the corner of Second Street and Hennepin Avenue in 1867 (dedicated Feb. 14, 1869).

St. Paul moved to its present building in 1954.